Sometimes dropping out is the only option. Illness, family issues, financial problems, or other hardships may make it impossible to continue with your classes although no one wants to quit college. There’s a right way and a wrong way to go about it when it comes to quitting college. Don’t just stop showing up and turning in your assignments. The long term consequences of a disappearing act may haunt you for years to come. Professors may be able to you a bit of slack and make it possible for you to have an extension on your work instead of dropping out, depending on your situation. Many colleges allow professors to create a contract with students, allowing them up to a year to complete late assignments. This might give you enough time to resolve outside issues and still stay on track. Extensions are less likely at the beginning of the semester. But there is a good chance your teachers will show leniency in case you only have a few weeks or one big project left. College counselors can walk you through the steps necessary to withdraw from the university in case receiving an extension from your professors won’t work.

How to quit online college

Be sure to ask about any tuition and fees that you’ve paid. Will you receive the full amount or a prorated portion back? Will you be expected to pay back any financial aid or scholarships if you leave the university? Does a hardship situation change the way the school treats cases like yours? Don’t take your name off the rolls until you have solid answers. The best thing you can do for your future college career is to make sure that your transcript stays spotless aside from getting an extension. You’ll probably receive an entire semester of F’s in case you simply stop going to class (or logging in to your assignments). Recovering from a semester of F’s is extremely difficult, and your college may even put you on academic probation or suspension. You may not care now, but it could become a problem years down the road. You may be able to get a special exception if you’re going through some sort of hardship in case you’ve passed the deadline for a clean record. If you cannot get away with a clean record, at least try to get a line of W’s on your transcript in place of failing grades. A “W” means “withdrawn.”  They generally have no effect on your GPA. Your transcript won’t be pretty, but it’s better than being put on academic probation or having difficulty re-enrolling in college while a lot of W’s may indicate unreliability on the student’s part, they generally have no effect on your GPA. Many schools have a program in place to allow students to leave for up to a year and return to the school without re-applying. There are programs designed specifically for hardship cases. However, there are generally also programs available for students that don’t have any extenuating circumstances.